Annons:
Taginternational-relations
Read 1126 times
Evelina
2019-05-16 13:22

Trump Immigration Plan - May 15th 2019

Trump Immigration Plan Emphasizes Immigrants' Skills Over Family Ties 

"President Trump, on Thursday, will unveil a plan to overhaul parts of the nation’s immigration system that would impose new security measures at the border and significantly increase the educational and skills requirements for people allowed to migrate to the United States.

The proposal, senior administration officials said on Wednesday, would vastly scale back the system of family-based immigration that for decades has allowed immigrants to bring their spouses and children to live with them, the officials said. In its place, the new plan would provide opportunities for immigrants who have specific skills or job offers to work in the United States, provided they can demonstrate English proficiency and educational attainment, and pass a civics exam." 

[…]

"Lisa Koop of the National Immigrant Justice Center said she had no reason to think that the Trump administration was operating in good faith to address the nation’s immigration problems -- "A plan that forces families apart, limits access to asylum and other humanitarian relief, and doesn’t contemplate a path to citizenship for DACA recipients and other undocumented community members is clearly a political stunt intended to posture rather than problem-solve,” she said."

-- The New York Times by Michael Shear on May 15, 2019

Annons:
Niklas
2019-05-16 14:48

Ah, so no more Sergey Brin (Google), Dara Khosrowshahi (Uber), George Soros or Steve Chen’s (YouTube) then.

» Almost half of Fortune 500 companies were founded by American immigrants or their children

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2019-05-16 14:56

Yep that is true and his immigration plan would actually increase job competition for jobs that require higher education, something that the native population already struggles with as it is, with many also struggling to pay off their college debt. As well there is a high demand for labor in the informal economy in the US. The labour market would actually cripple because of this. Too few jobs for higher educated and too many jobs for the non-educated, which would mean a downward pressure on wages for laborers.

Niklas
2019-05-17 15:16

#2: The competition issue depends on higher education people still wanting to go to the US for work. I'm not sure that has the same attraction as before. Lots has changed in just a few years.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Max
2019-05-20 03:15

The irony is that apart from a few specific niches such as medical staff or programmers, the jobs that are lacking willing natives tend to be low paid low skilled things such as fruit picking and cleaning jobs. There are of course plenty of low skilled native potential workers but they are often not intetested to take such jobs.

Evelina
2019-05-20 09:59

Yep true. The low paid jobs are typically informal - under the table, without benefits, and without job contracts as they tend to be seasonal, making it unattractive for a native labourer but often the only option for migrants. There is also a lot of human trafficking for labor in the agriculture industry, especially in California during picking seasons. I remember I watched a documentary a few years ago about it. I wish I could remember the name of it. It highlighted that since a lot of the workers are forced labor migrants or illegals, they can't boycott and protest in the streets to unionise so the labor conditions are horrific. The film interviewed a lot of protesters who were in front of grocery stores and fast food restaurants who supported buying produce from certain non-unionised farms (as they tend to be cheaper). The protesters were mostly individuals who had ties to the agriculture industry or hispanic family ties and/or second generation immigrants.

Annons:
Scroll to top
Annons: