Annons:
Taginternational-relations
Read 910 times
Thomaslee
2019-01-28 04:34

Do you like to talk with foreigners?

Nowadays people travel alot to other countries. Some just for siteseeing, while some for learning cultures. Do you like to talk to foreigners directly to learn more?

Annons:
Max
2019-01-28 05:38

Speaking for myself, I treat nationality as a relatively secondary characteristic. The main issue for me is whether someone can speak English or not. After that it's education, cultural attitudes etc that are important. I do not think of someone like say Niklas as a foreigner, he's just an obviously intelligent, thoughtful chap with whom I can communicate effectively. I'm not sure how prevalent my attitude is. I went to a graduate school where Brits were a small minority, then a highly international industry (international finance) then left to travel and live overseas most of the time and have only dated foreign girls for the last 30 years. I can imagine that if you grow up in China say surrounded 95 per cent by Chinese and speaking a language few foreigners can speak well, the concept of foreigner is much more important.

Leia
2019-01-28 20:13

I found during my year abroad in Sweden that people tend to initially gravitate towards people of the same nationality. I tried very hard to not do this, however, I did make great friends with two British girls on my course. Nevertheless,  I wanted to make sure I was talking to people all over the world, which I did also! I think you have to talk to other people of different nationalities otherwise you will always be trapped in your own bubble and not appreciate and understand that your situation is not how is for everyone else. 

#1 and while English was of some importance to truly understand a person, I enjoyed speaking to those how struggled because it allowed me to communicate in other ways, learn new languages myself and Help them improve through talking in English to me.

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

jordan
2019-01-29 00:31

I think speaking to people who permanently live in these places can offer a unique insight that simply cannot come from someone else. While a migrant may learn about the place, the culture and the people, their connection ultimately lies elsewhere.  That being said, the idea of the national citizen is becoming more and more obsolete, so I can imagine a future where that connection may fade away.

Niklas
2019-01-29 12:45

I like to talk to foreigners when the talk has a purpose, like me wanting to Help them find their way or me needing Help from someone. Aimless conversation feels strange, but that isn't different with foreigners compared to fellow Swedes. 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2019-02-02 19:16

I like to talk to foreigners. My bachelor's and Master's programmes have both been international programs with people from all around the world. It has been really nice to gain different perspectives on various topics. 🙂

Scroll to top
Annons: