Annons:
Taginternational-relations
Read 1109 times
Evelina
2019-01-22 15:42

What is your news source for foreign affairs?

Let me know you fav sources of news covering foreign affairs! 😎 I appreciate it 🙌🏼 I prefer audio format since I listen to the news and podcasts in the morning when I am getting ready for the day!

Annons:
Niklas
2019-01-23 14:07

To me foreign affairs is anything but Sweden. I follow The Guardian, The New York Times, BBC, Axios, The Atlantic, The Intercept, CNN, Al Jazeera World, The Intercept and Democracy Now!. All of them online. This is more than I can handle so I will cut some of them. I just don’t know which ones aren’t good enough yet. The podcasts I listen to are not about foreign affairs.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2019-01-23 14:10

My main sources of news are The Intercept and Democracy Now! But they are US based and therefore most of the news is about the US or US and foreign relations. I’ll check out some of the ones listed. Do you know if they have easy audio formats? Do you listen from iTunes?

Niklas
2019-01-23 14:17

No, I only read their news feeds. Haven’t tried listening to them. When I listen to podcasts I use Spotify, since its also what I use for music. My other favorite podcast app is Overcast. Probably mostly because of habit. I like Acast, but find it a little lacking in functionality. They recently got more funding so they are likely to add a lot of new features.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Max
2019-01-25 02:11

I've been reading The Economist for 40 years now. It has an audio as well as paper and app versions. There are usually 3 month trial subs at a good price. I woukd say it's probably the best source on international relations with coverage of happenings all over the world. I find the Flipboard app a good way to read the news that interests you as you can set up feed ls on the various topics that interest you then read a good selection of sources on each topic.

Evelina
2019-01-25 09:21

I personally find The Economist to be quite biased when it comes to their economic analyses, they tend to Support mainstream economic theory without providing any alternative insights. However, I do think its a valuable news source. I do read them when I have the occasional free article. I used to have a subscription but the delivery got messed up lol. They kept writing the wrong address and delivering to someone else in my building. So I cancelled the subscription and never got another one. Now they keep calling me Laughing out loud

That is a good idea, I've heard of that before. I just made an account now!

Leia
2019-01-27 01:37

I admit I mostly get my news from the BBC, I know this will provide me with a UK inward looking bias so I should really expand my sources.  I also really like the Guardian and the Independent although it has been a while since I have read any of their newspapers.

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Annons:
Max
2019-01-27 04:06

#6 Al jazeera is also worth checking out for international news. Though it obviously has a finance bias the FT probably has the best and most serious commentary of the UK papers

jordan
2019-01-27 18:58
Image 1. Click to open in original size.

If possible, I try to find as much as possible from Reuters. I saw a media bias chart a while ago, which had placed that near the centre (minimal bias), however I am unsure as to how accurate the chart is.

Max
2019-01-28 00:36

#8 That's an excellent graphic, I think it's largely accurate. Reuters along with AP and AFP are what used to be termed wire services. This means they have a wide network of international bureaux which gathers up news and then supplies it to local news outlets around the world. As such their output is designed to be as accurate and factual as possible. It is then up to the newspapers and channels that they supply the info to to use it how they wish. As such these agencies are ok for news but you will not find the analysis and interpretation necessary to get much insight. As noted before the FT is one of the least biased sources for analysis and interpretation. The Economist has a libertarian tinge to it but still balanced perspective, the guardian, NYT, WP are all fairly solid left leaning outlets. For political analysis re Trump, I enjoy TYT (the Young Turks) which is overtly Progressive but in the case of the Trump analysis such a critical analysis is entirely justified and the mainstream. Outlets who make an effort to maintain "fairness" often especially in the early days did not call a spade a spade in response to the criminality that was obviously going on.

Niklas
2019-01-28 10:53

#8: Thanks Jordan! That was a good infographic. I'm glad to find my news sources about where I expected them.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2019-01-29 00:26

#9 #10

Thanks guys! I can't quite remember where I originally saw it, but the memory stuck ever since, and whenever I need to look at media to analyse for University work it comes in handy. I find it quite interesting that out of the outlets shown on there, the ones that have (in my opinion) the largest social media influence fall below the selective/incomplete line. It makes complete sense, as the more outlandish the statement, the more clicks it gets.

Niklas
2019-01-29 12:00

The source of the media bias chart is Ad Fontes Media.

» Media Bias Chart: Version 4.0 - ad fontes media

At their site you can see the ranking of individual news outlets if they are not distinguishable on the chart.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2019-01-30 21:49

#12 Oh wow that's really cool!

Annons:
Scroll to top
Annons: