Annons:
Taginternational-relations
Read 627 times
Max
2019-01-16 15:31

Trump: "I never worked for Russia"

In his latest chopper talk President Trump was forced to make an extraordinary claim for a US President that "I never worked for Russia"  

Several commentators have suggested this  will go down with the  likes of Nixon's "Well, I am not a crook" and Clinton's "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" as the defining lie  of  his  Presidency.

What do  you think?

Annons:
Evelina
2019-01-16 16:30

Probably, but I think Trump will have alot of defining lies to be honest. Hes such a complusive liar

Niklas
2019-01-16 16:56

He is getting close to ten thousand public lies and mis-statements of facts so far as US president, if I'm not remembering it wrong.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Niklas
2019-01-16 17:04

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Max
2019-01-17 02:42

Today's news may proove to be significant. To everyone's consternation Trump chose to have the meeting with Putin in Helsinki without any advisers or notetakers. Even in normal times this would have been an extraordinary decision. In the context of a President fighting a Special Investigator investigating his possible collusion with Russia it was a jaw dropping decision. We now learn that his interpreter was sworn to secrecy, his notes taken off him by Trump and possibly destroyed. Moreover it seems that Trump has not even told the senior members of his administration including Secretary of State Pompeo and National Security Advisor John Bolton what happened in the meeting. Furthermore it seems that there was a second informal meeting without even a US interpreter. Trump could hardly have behaved more suspiciously short of wearing a ushanka. Now the Democrats have control of the House, they say they will try to interview the interpreter using subpoena power if necessary. Trump is likely to assert Executive Privelege and it may need to be decided by the Supreme Court, but unless he has already nobbled the Court, one would expect this to be dismissed. Having gone to such lengths to hide from everyone what was said at the meeting it's difficult to believe they were just talking about the weather.

Niklas
2019-01-17 10:52

I wouldn’t be surprised if Putin got Trump to make the meeting secret to make it look suspicious to outsiders. Putin would be smart enough to foresee the consequences of that, but I don't think Trump would.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Max
2019-01-17 11:19

#5 I'm not so sure. Putin's number 1 strategic goal is to break up NATO. It has recently been leaked that Trump has been flying that Kite on several occasions with his "team". Trump has very openly been talking about how he doesn't like Article 5 of NATO or the idea of comming to the defense of countries like Estonia etc. He has already essentially given Russia what it wanted in Syria. The irony is that apart from Trump, there is almost noone in the US keen to abandon NATO. Were it not for Primary concerns I doubt it woukd get a single senatorial vote apart from maybe Rand Paul. If the House can get the interpreter to spill the beans and there was something along these lines discussed it would essentially be treason.

Annons:
Max

#5 I'm not so sure. Putin's number 1 strategic goal is to break up NATO. It has recently been leaked that Trump has been flying that Kite on several occasions with his "team". Trump has very openly been talking about how he doesn't like Article 5 of NATO or the idea of comming to the defense of countries like Estonia etc. He has already essentially given Russia what it wanted in Syria. The irony is that apart from Trump, there is almost noone in the US keen to abandon NATO. Were it not for Primary concerns I doubt it woukd get a single senatorial vote apart from maybe Rand Paul. If the House can get the interpreter to spill the beans and there was something along these lines discussed it would essentially be treason.

Max

Max
2019-01-17 11:20

Max

Max

Niklas
2019-01-17 11:48

I’m not at all sure either. I just think Trump is inexperienced and arrogant enough to do things someone he likes proposes, without thinking much about the possible consequences. Making the US lose its world police status could well be a goal of Putins. It would make things easier for him.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Max
2019-01-17 13:00

I think Putin's goals are pretty clear. He is an ex KGB man who sees the collapse of the Eastern Bloc and the Soviet Union as a disaster. He most definitely sees western encroachment on parts of the former Soviet Union as a huge threat. He is also the fountainhead of the world's biggest klepocacy and wants to keep that on track. It is very clear that there is plenty of Kompromat on Trump that Putin may or may not have made explicit use of yet. If nothing else his crazy behaviour at Helsinki itself compromised Trump. That's because with only an interpreter whose notes he has taken and probably destroyed at the first meeting and no Americans at the second meeting, Putin has the power to leak /make up whatever he wants about the meeting. For example he could leak that Trump agreed he would undermine NATO, pull out of Syria, or whatever in return for Help at the next election. Whether this was true or not how could Trump defend himself? It would only be his word and everyone knows he is a pathological liar. Almost certainly the Russian's have tapes of these meetings so if he did actually agree something untoward he is completely at their mercy. We also know for certain that Trump is compromised financially by the Russians. His businesses were bankrupted. The only Western bank that would lend to him was Deutsche which is itself alreaxy up to its neck in Russian money laundering scandals. Perhaps the most clear cut example was his sale of his mansion in palm Beach for $95m to a Russian oilgrarch who despite paying a record price for a property worth maybe half as much, never lived there or visited and end up pulling it down

Annons:
Niklas
2019-01-17 16:13

Exactly. That's what I meant by Trump being inexperienced. Someone with experience would see the value of proper records of what was said. Trump hasn't yet realized that the presidency doesn't make the US his company that he can run like a mob. Only if what they said at the meeting is worse than anything people can dream up could I see a point in getting rid of the records. I guess the same may be true of his tax records. Why withhold them if they don't contain things worse than what the public suspect? This whole thing could have been an intriguing drama thriller series on Netflix if it weren't for the fact that it is already playing live 24/7.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Scroll to top
Annons: