Taginternational-relations
Read 1562 times
Max
Max 
2019-01-25, 02:27

Did a single word swing the US Election?

As is well known, though Trump got a decisive majority in the Electoral College, he lost the popular vote by a few million and the real margin for victory was just a few 100k of votes in key states. In this context, I've seen it plausibly argued that a single word was enough to swing the election and bring Trump to power. Interested if others can guess the word I have in mind?

Evelina
2019-01-25, 09:43

Decisive? Swing?

Max
Max 
2019-01-27, 13:19

My vote would be "Deplorables". Hilary lost the election by under 100k votes in 3 key swing mid west states. Its entirely plausible that had she not uttered that word it may have been enough to avoid a Trump Presidency.

Start your own community!

For your company, club, school class, neighborhood, blog, hobby, interest, gaming clan, family, friend circle, sports team, study group...

Get started in minutes. For free of course!

Evelina
2019-01-27, 14:45

I didn’t even hear of this until now! I think there were so many factors to consider that contributed to the results of the 2016 election. But yeah that certainly didn’t Help. From a linguistic standpoint, Hillary had a very slim chance of winning from the start. Unintentionally or not, Trump cleverly used language in a way the appealed to several different classes in the US. In my opinion, Hillary was sort of stuck in a linguistic gender bind. I write a paper about this a year ago for a linguistics course where I analyzed Trump and Hillary’s language. It was really interesting to research.

Scroll to top